This project is read-only.

Create as a Windows service

Mar 29, 2009 at 11:16 PM
Hello,

I was very glad to find this project, because it's just what I need.  One thing that would help me enormously, and which I think would be a nice boost to the project, would be to run the program as a service.

I believe you can use a single exe file for both an interactive view (as you have right now) as well as an interface-less Windows service.  (Perhaps by specifying a common line option to operate as a service.)

The creation of a Widnows service is actually fairly simple -- it is mainly a single command that is executed to have Windows install the service.

The reason I need it as a service is that I want to be able to keep external hard drives running even though I am not logged in to Windows -- or if I'm logged in under *any* name.  (It would run as a system task, not as a user task.)

This service capability, plus the ability to monitor any number of external drives, would be just perfect.

Thanks!

-Todd
Apr 1, 2009 at 12:39 AM
Hello Speednet,

Running it as a service is a great idea. Indeed it would be a nice boost to the project.

I've already started building the 'service' version of the application which shouldn't take long. Will release it as soon as possible.

I've just released version 2.0 which can monitor multiple drives. So for the time being, if you use multiple external drives, you could use it.

Thanks for the idea again.

Ash
Apr 1, 2009 at 6:09 PM
That's really terrific!  I'm looking forward to seeing (and using!) the result.