Running multiple instances from startup?

Mar 19, 2009 at 2:00 PM
Hi Ashutosh, thanks for a great program. I picked it up from the Lifehacker post and it's just what I need for my drives.

I have a question on running the program with multiple drives. I have 4 external drives that I would like to keep awake, and I can run 4 instances of the program no problem, picking a new drive each time.

If I have the auto-run at startup selected though, on boot-up I'll get 4 instances of the program, which will all try and monitor the same drive. The .NET framework bombs out three instances (this would be expected though), but it would be nice to be able to start the 4 instances on startup.

I did try adding an additional registry key with a different drive letter but this didn't work - I assume the values from the most recently running program are the 'most recent'

Do you have any plans to implement this or what do you think?
Coordinator
Mar 19, 2009 at 2:51 PM
Hi Spocker,

Glad you like the program.

The drive letter, minutes and other settings aren't saved in the registry. They are saved in the %APPDATA%\Local\NoSleepHD.

Only the application path for NoSleepHD is stored in registry. Also, I haven't explicitly denied the running of multiple instances in the code.

Try and copy the program to multiple locations and run and configure each with different drive letter and settings.

I know this isn't the smartest way to do this. I will add the feature which can monitor multiple drives with just one instance of the program alongwith some other features.

I will do that as soon as I get some time from my FYP write-up.

Thank you for pointing that out.

Best Wishes
Ash